Blog Communities Publishing Magazines

« January 2006 | Main | March 2006 »

February 23, 2006

Separated At Birth?

phones verizon guy Click through to see if Brad looks like the new Verizon guy.

So my good friend and co-worker Brad Luers(B~rad in the comments here) just found his long lost twin. Tell me him and the new Verizon Wireless guy weren’t seperated at birth:

Seperated at birth?

Posted on February 23, 2006 04:46 PM by verizo413.
Filed in Technology under verizon.

End Of The Internet?

It's like 1984 in 2006.

Verizon, Comcast, Bell South and other communications giants are developing strategies that would track and store information on our every move in cyberspace in a vast data-collection and marketing system, the scope of which could rival the National Security Agency. According to white papers now being circulated in the cable, telephone and telecommunications industries, those with the deepest pockets--corporations, special-interest groups and major advertisers--would get preferred treatment. Content from these providers would have first priority on our computer and television screens, while information seen as undesirable, such as peer-to-peer communications, could be relegated to a slow lane or simply shut out.

Read more from this blogger:
http://economicpatriot.blog.com/End of the Internet?

Posted on February 23, 2006 03:44 PM by verizo413.
Filed in Technology under verizon.

SkypeFlash Phone

phones skype flash phone This Skype phone is very cool.

This is a pretty cool product. Basically it’s a flash drive with a built in sound card. You plug this thing into a USB port and it has a headset that you can use as mic and speaker. So you basically ahve your skype profile with you wherever you go, whatever computer you use! Got a friend you want to VoIP with but they aren’t to tech-savy? Get one of these, configure it, mail it to em and they should be up and running.

SkypeFlash Phone

Posted on February 23, 2006 03:44 PM by skype430.
Filed in Technology under skype.

10 Minutes Of Free SkypeOut Calling

Check out the free skypeout calling.

If you log into your Skype account, you will see that they are giving away 10 SkypeOut minutes today. You will see that today is Skype Gift Day, and by pressing the button in your Skype Account Overview you can receive your gift of 10 free minutes.

10 Minutes of Free SkypeOut Calling

Posted on February 23, 2006 01:44 PM by skype430.
Filed in Technology under skype.

First Podcast Freebie

skype headset accessory The Teen Tech Buzz gets real with Skype accessories.

Yesterday I got my first free review copy for my podcast, The Teen Tech Buzz. Actually, it hasn’t arrived yet, but I have a FedEx tarcking number. The thing itself is the Free-1 Skype phone from IPEVO. IPEO is a small company that makes accecories for the Skype VoIP program. I first learned aboit the Free-1 a while ago when I was searching the web for a Mac-compatible USB Skype hone. I came accorss a couple of articles which mentioned the Free-1. I went IPEVO’s site, and there it was. The Free-1 (pricture below) is a white or black USB phone that has numbers and specila Skype buttons on it. It ahs a cool, unique design, and looks pretty nice from the online pics. It costs $30 from IPEVO. I’ll review the phone for TTB #10 (woohoo, already up to 10!!!!) on March 17th, because TTB #09 is already taken up for reviewing with Apple’s iLife ‘06. This phone is just the first step in getting The Teen Tech Buzz to be recognized as a legitimate, respected news organization, or at least give us some more listeners and free stuff.

First Podcast Freebie!!!!

Posted on February 23, 2006 01:44 PM by skype430.
Filed in Technology under skype.

February 22, 2006

Deployment

For a armed forces shipping out, a calling card is a great asset.

Well, about 9 the next morning, the buses finally came. We packed up the buses and then rode for about 2 hours to March Air Force Base. There they had like a USO set up, where they provided us with free snacks, free hygiene gear, and free calling cards. After about 2 hours, it was flight time.

http://richardmurray.blog.com/A Little Update

Posted on February 22, 2006 08:45 PM by callin396.
Filed in Technology under calling cards.

Telefonate Gratuite Via Web

In Italian, some info on Jajah.com.

Alessandro segnala in questo post un altro interessante servizio di telefonia VoIP: Jajah fornisce telefonate via internet senza la necessita’ di installare software sul client.

jajah.com - Telefonate gratuite via Web

Posted on February 22, 2006 04:44 PM by voip429.
Filed in Technology under voip.

Review: Nokia N70

phones nokia n70 Comprehensive review of the Nokia N70 here.

The phone isn’t particularly small, though it’s not overly big either. It’s definitely shorter, narrower and lighter than a Treo 650, though it is about the same thickness. It easily fits in a pocket and is highly portable. The keypad is a little small, to make room for the 176×208 pixel screen. Unless you have ten meaty thumbs, it’s not too small, though some people are bound to gripe about this.

OhGizmo Review: The Nokia N70, Part 1

Posted on February 22, 2006 03:45 PM by nokia 423.
Filed in Technology under nokia phones.

Zander Wants To Be Like Steve Jobs

phone motorola ed zander Why would anyone want to be like Steve Jobs?

I’m not sure where Zander gets the idea that people are copying his phones. The slim RAZR has been a big hit, but what exactly has Motorola announced early and had someone else copy? Anyone? Maybe it was the recent rumor of the Apple iPhone and photoshop’ed product shots.

Zander Upset, Wants to be like Steve Jobs

Posted on February 22, 2006 10:43 AM by motoro421.
Filed in Technology under motorola razor.

February 18, 2006

We've Moved Again

It used to be you could just send out a change of address card, but now you have to let everyone know what modes of communications you will be using at a new address.

The phone will be connected next Thursday and we’ll let people know via email that number. In the meantime you can reach us on our cell phones, though we’ve had some trouble using them in the new apartment. There is no longer a phone at our old place since we brought the phone and such with us. So, if you really need us, email is going to be your best bet.

We’ve moved again!

Posted on February 18, 2006 10:42 PM by cell p392.
Filed in Technology under cell phones.

Mobile AJAX

phones nokia s60 Very cool development in the world of mobile browsing for Nokia S60 users.

The Freedom application will be preinstalled on select Nokia phones in the Norwegian market and will be available for download for Norwegian Nokia S60 owners.

Opera and Freedom Media Announce Mobile Ajax (Opera) Development

Posted on February 18, 2006 09:41 AM by nokia 423.
Filed in Technology under nokia phones.

February 17, 2006

It's Bad Here, Too

BellSouth DSL customers unite!

Glenn Reynolds and Rand Simberg have a litany of complaints about their BellSouth internet service. Brother, tell me about it. At my home we use BellSouth phone service and Comcast cable internet. No problems with either one. But at my office we use BellSouth only and it’s nothing but problems, and that is an expensive business account:

It’s bad here, too

Posted on February 17, 2006 08:41 PM by bellso433.
Filed in Technology under bellsouth.

Mvox BT Speakerphone For Treo 650 And 700w

phones mvox bt speakerphone If you want a hands-free solution for your Treo 650 or Treo 700w, click through for much more on the Mvox Speakerphone.

This sounds and looks great. I look forward to getting a chance to play with one of these. The MVOX MV900 MSRP is $159. It is available on their site for $159 and also at Palm site for $129. I took a look at the Palm site and was pleased to find that it is currently on special for $103.99! Sweeet.

Palm Certifies Mvox BT Speakerphone for Treo 650 and 700w

Posted on February 17, 2006 03:42 PM by treo 6428.
Filed in Technology under treo 650.

Vendesi

phones sprint treo 650 On buying a Treo 650 in Italy.

Il fatto è questo: vendo un PalmOne Treo 650 nuovo e immacolato (arrivato giusto oggi e nemmeno acceso - ma stasera verifico che non sia un mattone), assolutamente intonso e nella sua scatola originale.

Try your google translator to read this.

Vendesi

Posted on February 17, 2006 03:42 PM by treo 6428.
Filed in Technology under treo 650.

RAZR Killer?

phones NEC 500is Will the NEC 500is bring about the end of the RAZR?

Engadget.com bezeichnet es als "RAZR-Killer". Und in der Tat erinnert das ultraflache NEC 500is an Motorolas Erfolgsmodell. Laut Engadget ist es 11,9 Millimeter dick, die sonstige Ausstattung soll eher bescheiden ausfallen: 1,3-Megapixel-Kamera, 176 x 220 Pixel großes Farb-Display, Triband und EDGE.

NEC 500is - Ein Flachmann für Japan

Posted on February 17, 2006 11:40 AM by motoro421.
Filed in Technology under motorola razor.

February 14, 2006

The End Of Skype?

phones nokia 6136 I find it hard to believe the Nokia 6136 will displace Skype, but it's a cool cell phone.

What causes The Register to predict the death of Skype and Vonage is a new handset by Nokia. Nokia's 6136 phone, allows you to make calls over your home or office Wi-Fi network, as well as on a regular cellular network. Apparently it lets you seamlessly switch calls between WiFi and Cellular connections.

Is this 'it' for VOIP?

Posted on February 14, 2006 01:40 PM by skype430.
Filed in Technology under skype.

February 13, 2006

Vonage IPO

Good post on the Vonage IPO.

Plenty of digital ink has been spilled covering the Vonage IPO. If this interests you I strongly suggest reviewing the articles summarized in a recent Seeking Alpha Post.

Vonage IPO

Posted on February 13, 2006 04:43 PM by vonage431.
Filed in Technology under vonage.

Time For A New Phone

phones motorola pink razr v3 The LG VX9800, Pink RAZR V3, and the Motorola V276 are three very different phones, but the pink RAZR is hot, hot, hot.

Anyone familiar with these phones care to offer an opinion? Everyone has a razr, I’m not impressed. I really like the first one because I could keep track of my boys via messenger but the reviews are not so great.

The day after

Posted on February 13, 2006 11:41 AM by motoro421.
Filed in Technology under motorola razor.

February 09, 2006

VoIP Keyboard

phones voip keyboard The VoIP keyboard is here!

After my initial report on the Skype Mouse Phone, I knew it was only a matter of time until a VoIP keyboard would come out. Well yesterday must of been my lucky day, because after I was right about the Vonage IPO, I saw an article about the first VoIP keyboard.

VoIP Keyboard

Posted on February 9, 2006 04:44 PM by vonage431.
Filed in Technology under vonage.

Just A Phone

phones motorola razr But the Motorola Razr is kinda cool.

Mike’s got one of those Razr phones. He says people are envious of him. The phone is extremely thin, has a built-in camera and e-mail features, and does more than my original computer did. (I’m sure it has more processing power, too.) But come on guys — it’s a phone. A phone.

On Cell Phones

Posted on February 9, 2006 11:44 AM by motoro421.
Filed in Technology under motorola razor.

New Razr

phone motorola razr pink Yes, but is it a pink Motorola Razr?

I’m getting a new phone tomorrow! My aunt Deeann is adding me onto her plan and guess what! I’m getting the Motorola Razor! They’re on sell here for $68.00! And since she’s adding me to her plan I get it for that price! w00t! w00t!

Donner le sang.

Posted on February 9, 2006 08:43 AM by motoro421.
Filed in Technology under motorola razor.

February 07, 2006

Big Phones Companies And Fiber

You can bet the phone companies will act rationally and their motive will be profit.

BellSouth insists it’s just trying to look out for the interests of the local Lafayette taxpayers. Its argument hinges on the fact that the city-owned utility, which is building the network, is a monopoly.

Read more from this blogger:
Are the Big Phones Companies Trying to Keep Fiber Away From You?

Posted on February 7, 2006 08:41 PM by bellso433.
Filed in Technology under bellsouth.

February 04, 2006

Charter's New "Placebo Internet Package"

It seems like it would be easy to get decent Internet service these days.

Yeah, it’s been a mess with them. Their incompetence is atrocious, and I’ve given more than a few verbal ass-kickings to their support/customer service people, believe me. So far I’m happy with Vonage for my office & fax, at least it’s a consistent bill and the service is actually good as long as I’m not doing heavy uploading. Now, I have to give Charter some credit, the Internet service is pretty stable. I was one of the first people in my county (#5, in fact) to get Cable Internet, and let me tell you — they’ve come a long way. I have a metric ton of stories regarding the “early days” but now it’s rarely down, and pretty fast.

Read more from this blogger:
Charter’s New “Placebo Internet Package”

Posted on February 4, 2006 04:54 PM by vonage431.
Filed in Technology under vonage.

Using Linux

If you're interested in whether you can substitute Linux for Windows and run all your apps (including Skype), click through.

Among the tools that I haven’t used yet are “Crossover Office,” which allows Xandros users to run Microsoft Office stuff (it’s a time-limited trial, after which you have to buy); and Skype, the popular VOIP telephony tool. I won’t be bothering with Crossover — OpenOffice is just fine, thanks, and I’ll probably grab AbiWord for lighter stuff — but I’ll let you know how Skype works out after I upgrade to high-speed Internet.

Review: Microtel SYSAM4008 PC

Posted on February 4, 2006 04:54 PM by voip429.
Filed in Technology under voip.

February 03, 2006

Another Substandard 911 VoIP Solution

On regulations, markets, and successful services.

If there had been this sort of rigid, unyielding regulation when cell phones were first coming out, I can guarantee that the US would have never developed a cell phone market, and we’d be even further behind the rest of the world in our cell phone technology than we are today (we’re only a half decade or so behind Europe and Japan with our current cell phone tech). Now, the US is going to fall drastically behind the rest of the world in its VoIP technology, too.

Read more from this blogger:
Another substandard 911 VoIP solution.

Posted on February 3, 2006 10:39 PM by cell p392.
Filed in Technology under cell phones.

Using A Bellsouth Westell DSL Modem

phone westell dsl modem If you have Bellsouth DSL, here's a useful tutorial on the Westell DSL Modem.

Bellsouth’s FastAccess DSL almost always comes with a Westell DSL modem if you purchase the modem from Bellsouth. I’ve been supporting users on Bellsouth DSL in Georgia since 2002. The Westell modems have always proved to good hardware in my experience. As of late 2005, Bellsouth has started selling customers refurbised Westell DSL modems. (Bellsouth puts this microscopic type on their web site, printed materials, and television commercials to warn you about.) Surprisingly, I’ve found that the refurbished modems, other than looking slightly different, tend to work just fine.

Using a Bellsouth Westell DSL Modem With a Router

Posted on February 3, 2006 08:44 PM by bellso433.
Filed in Technology under bellsouth.

The End Of The Internet?

Too many alternatives to telcos for the telcos to take over the Internet.

Greed knows no bounds in our large telco oligopies. Not only do they want to charge us for the pipe, they want to charge us for the content. In the process they have to know exactly what the content is and feed it into a mamouth database. In order for this to happen telcos need to kill of the remnants of the “common carrier” concept and turn the internet into a private network. This is a very bad idea for all players involved, particularly the public, except for the ATT, Verizon, Bellsouth and Comcasts of the world. It’s tied to their wish of eliminating “network neutrality.” The privacy implications of massive data mining of the internet are staggering. It’s anti-consumer in the extreme and needs to be strongly opposed.

The End of the Internet?

Posted on February 3, 2006 08:44 PM by bellso433.
Filed in Technology under bellsouth.

Verizon Network Hog Nonsense

You'd think Vint Cerf would know what he's talking about, but maybe not.

There has been an awe inspiring amount of uninformed chatter with regards to Vinton Cerf (works for Google now, don’t forget) pointing a finger at Verizon for reserving 80% of their network bandwidth for themselves. It all started with this Businessweek Article. I really need to stop writing about Verizon, Net Neutrality, etc but people’s attitudes on some of these subjects have me all jacked up…. and my friends know that when I get jacked up I can’t shut up.

Verizon Network Hog Nonsense

Posted on February 3, 2006 04:42 PM by verizo413.
Filed in Technology under verizon.

February 02, 2006

Where Is My High Speed?

The need for speed!

I want better service, now! I am sick of paying $60 for DSL when we should have Fiber Optic service in every home by now. This comes at a time when SBC/AT&T merged into a mega corporation that is taking money from both ends, the government and its customers, and doing nothing about upgrading the sub-par infrastructure.

Where is my High Speed?

Posted on February 2, 2006 12:46 PM by sbc432.
Filed in Technology under sbc.

Skype Or Gizmo?

Comments on skype versus gizmo, anyone?

Now, I just have to decide between Skype and Gizmo. Then I’ll quit stressing out over little things. Any feedback on either of those would rock. Which is better in your opinion?

Firefox 1.5.0.1 Officially Released

Posted on February 2, 2006 03:44 AM by gizmo586.
Filed in Technology under gizmo.